Modern app testing cycles require the proper implementation of automation testing practices. This is because, with the performance of this advanced process, the app developers can not only improve the efficiency of the testing process but also boost the quality of the app development project.
Using automated testing, it is also possible to perform the development and testing processes side-by-side to remove bugs and errors as soon as they appear in the core infrastructure of the application. In the modern app market, Appium is one of the most important competitors as it allows developers to automate testing on mobile-based applications. Mobile devices, in turn, constitute more than 50% of the total online traffic.
Using this article, we are going to explore how the developers can optimize their automation test scripts while working with Appium automation. We will also understand the role of various tools and platforms in implementing the various test script optimization techniques.
Understanding Automated Testing and Appium
Test automation is an efficient way of eliminating the hassle and resources of maintaining a human testing team. This is because the system can perform similar human interactions by emulating various forms of communication using predetermined parameters. A series of data present in automation test files supply these parameters. The automation test files are also popularly known as test scripts. While using these files, the app developers can also make changes in the data to ensure that the test reports are customized according to the requirements of the app development project.
With the proper implementation of automated testing, the developers can boost Appium automation in the following ways:
- With the integration of parallel testing, it is possible to initiate multiple automation test scripts on different systems and configurations simultaneously. Properly implementing this process can allow the app developers to complete thousands of test cases within a few days.
- Automation testing helps improve the accuracy of the test cases as it is devoid of errors that can arise due to continued human involvement. Moreover, the system can initiate the automation test cases 24 hours around the clock, which is much beyond the capabilities of a human tester.
- Besides including parallel testing, it is also possible to add various tools, plugins, and libraries that are critical for improving the quality and efficiency of automation test cases.
- Automation testing helps boost the company’s resources and time in the long run. This is because it can eliminate the requirements of setting up and maintaining an in-house manual testing team.
We can define Appium as a modern tool for initiating automated testing on the user interface elements of a mobile application. Using the Appium API, developers can also test the proper functioning of mobile native apps, hybrid apps, and mobile-based web applications.
Since te core infrastructure of Appium is open-source, app developers can utilize all of its features without any platform or license fees. While using Appium, the app developers can run the test cases on Android and iOS applications. Finally, the Appium API is very simple and easy to implement from the perspective of a new automation tester.
Exploring the Mobile Industry
Before exploring the techniques for optimizing the Appium test cases, it is very important for app developers to properly understand the diversity of the mobile app development and testing industry. This is because there are multiple popular platforms in the mobile segment, which include iOS, Android, and Windows. Since Android is a dominant player consisting of more than 70% of users, it releases over 1000 new devices annually. Considering the other players, including iOS and Windows, we can understand it’s almost impossible for the app developers to generalize the test cases. On the other hand, it is also not advisable to restrict the test cases to only emulation or simulation software.
In such a scenario, the best approach is the integration and implementation of real device testing. Using the real device test parameters, the developers can analyze the influence of various physical parameters on the functioning of the application. Some of the most crucial parameters include unstable bandwidth, critically low battery, user interaction errors, or changes in the usage pattern due to area demographics.
Best Optimising Techniques for Appium Test Scripts
Based on our research and understanding, we have created a list of some of the best techniques to help application developers optimize their Appium test scripts. Depending on their priority, they are listed below.
Integration of Cloud Platforms
Has a massive role in improving the efficiency of Appium test cases and optimizing them per the requirements. Platforms like LambdaTest have thousands of features to improve the test accuracy, quality, and overall testing range. Moreover, with the help of cloud testing, app developers can eliminate the hassle of setting up and maintaining an in-house device testing lab for performing all the required real device testing operations.
Use of Parallel Testing
Considering the complexity of modern applications, we can safely say that parallel testing has become one of the critical components of the app testing infrastructure. The core infrastructure of parallel testing uses the concept of a hub that is connected to thousands of different nodes. Here, every node represents the individual elements present under the mobile app. So whenever the hub receives a test case, it analyzes its parameters and automatically forwards it to the respective element for the execution process.
Choice of Devices and Browsers
While working with Appium automation, the developers need to choose the correct devices and browsers for optimizing their test cases. This process will also help them to ensure that they can extend their app compatibility to a wider range of audience. To start this process, the app developers must ensure their application is compatible with the top mobile devices like Android. Some of the top mobile browsers include Google Chrome and Safari. A survey of the target audience base will also help to streamline this process.
Managing the Test Configuration
Platforms like LambdaTest provide native capabilities for managing test settings. Some of the most critical test configurations include setting up the network conditions, screen resolutions, and geolocation. All these parameters will help the application developers ensure their application is compatible based on various real-world scenarios. The following code will configure the environment.
Integrating Test Automation Frameworks
While implementing Appium automation, the developers must integrate test automation frameworks with the test cases. Using these frameworks, it is possible to improve the test management process and the test reporting structure. Some of the most popular test automation frameworks include JUnit and TestNG.
Integrating Selenium Grid
The Integration of Selenium Grid can massively boost the optimization abilities for Appium test cases. This is because, using this Grid, the app developers can run the selenium test cases on the Appium environment. This process will also allow the app developers to initiate cross-browser testing on mobile applications.
Screenshots and Video Recording
The application debugging process also has a critical role in improving the efficiency of the test cases. This is because, with a proper debugging approach, the Appium testers can massively boost the app development cycle and reduce the time for the production process. By recording videos and implementing automatic test execution screenshots, the developers can keep track of the test execution process. That will also help them to automatically log the errors and bugs in the core infrastructure of the application.
How does LambdaTest Help Optimise the Appium Test Scripts?
As we all know, it is a very expensive and hectic process to set up and implement a real device testing lab. On the other hand, cloud-based platforms like LambdaTest. LambdaTest is an AI-powered test orchestration and execution platform with over 3000+ real device, browser, and OS combinations that help achieve similar test results on remote servers. LambdaTest also acts as an artificial intelligence-integrated platform that helps the testers orchestrate and execute the test cases.
By implementing the LambdaTest real device testing cloud, the app developers can boost the Appium test scripts in the following ways:
- This cloud platform will provide access to thousands of devices, browser versions, and operating systems that also include legacy devices and older browser editions. Using these features, the testers can also provide stable compatibility to end users who do not update their hardware or software.
- With the integration of LambdaTest real device cloud and parallel testing, the app developers can improve the efficiency of the test cases several times
- The LambdaTest platform maintains a real-time activity log that keeps track of all the test cases, including the failed test instances. This data is critical as it can help developers avoid similar errors in future app development projects.
- After executing the test cases, LambdaTest generates highly accurate test reports that consist of not only the test activity logs but also visual representations, including videos and screenshots. This is an adequate set of information to quickly pinpoint the faulty elements and perform the troubleshooting and debugging processes.
- LambdaTest provides native support for various features that help app developers optimize the Appium test scripts and improve the efficiency and quality of the testing environment.
- Using the Lambda tunnel, the developers can run the Appium test cases on local servers. This tunnel capability also ensures proper test execution accuracy. It is an important parameter when developers work on privately hosted mobile applications. The mentioned code will trigger Lambda Tunnel.
# Start the Lambda Tunne
- LambdaTest provides native support for integrating Selenium Grid for cross-platform testing on Appium infrastructure. It also allows app developers to implement custom testing abilities and implementation of automation testing frameworks.
The Final Verdict
All the techniques and practices that we discussed in this article will help the testers boost the quality of the Appium test scripts massively. We also emphasized the importance of integrating parallel and automation testing in modern test cycles. A recent study issues that only 66% of the app developing companies have transitioned to complete automation testing practices. Considering the recent market, the remaining companies need to adopt this trend. Surveying the target customers and understanding their requirements is equally important for boosting the audience’s reach. Using this data, the app testers can customize the app functionality per requirements.