Career Prospect In Japan: Guide for International Students Ready To Immigrate To Japan

The Japanese Student Visa is a type of long-term visa accepted by Japanese educational institutions such as universities, schools, and vocational schools.

Anyone wishing to study in a Japanese educational institution must obtain a Japan Student Visa.


The Japanese government has a visa-free policy for citizens of a number of countries.

The exemption, however, is only valid for short-term purposes such as tourism, visits, conducting business, or attending a conference.

If you are visa-exempt but intend to stay in Japan for more than 90 days, you must apply for a visa based on the purpose of your visit.


Student Visa Requirements in Japan


You will need several documents to support your application for a Japanese Student Visa.

The following documents are required for a Japan Student Visa application:

Your valid passport, as well as photocopies of it

Passport-size photos that meet the following requirements:

4cm x 3cm in size

Photographed within the last three months

A plain white background with no patterns or shadows.

You must begin with a straight face and a neutral expression.

Your entire face must be visible.

The image must be of high quality (focused, clear, and sharp)

The Eligibility Certificate

Admission letter to a Japanese educational institution indicating the duration and specifics of the course

As applicable, previous academic and/or professional qualifications (diploma, transcripts, etc.)



You must provide proof that you can meet the financial requirements for the duration of your stay in Japan.

For one year, the financial requirements for a Japanese Student Visa are approximately 2 million Yen.

You can demonstrate that you meet the necessary financial requirements by:

Income or bank statements

Scholarship documentation

Proof that you received a Financial Aid Letter of Sponsorship, along with your sponsor’s proof of income and bank statements, if you are sponsored.

If necessary:

Your educational institution issued a letter of invitation and a letter of guarantee.

A Motivational or Cover Letter written by you that explains why you are traveling.

You also have to send documents several of these documents to your school so they can apply for the Certificate of Eligibility.


Bear in mind:


Documents must be printed on A4 paper.

Consult the Embassy or Consulate about whether you should submit copies or originals of your documents. Your documents may not be returned to you in some cases.

This is not an all-inclusive list of prerequisites. The Embassy or Consulate where you apply may request additional documents based on your specific situation.


How Do I Apply for a Student Visa to Japan?

The application process for a Japan Student Visa is divided into two parts:

Obtaining an Eligibility Certificate

Filling out the Japan Student Visa Application

Obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility in Japan

Every foreigner who enters Japan for non-temporary reasons must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the Japanese Immigration Services.

However, because you must obtain this before entering Japan, it is your school’s responsibility to handle the COE application on your behalf.

You must send them the necessary documents.

The Japan Certificate of Eligibility is intended to aid in the visa application process.

It serves to demonstrate that you have been approved by the Japanese Immigration Services and that you meet the Japanese government’s entry requirements for international students.

The Certificate of Eligibility for Japan, on the other hand, is not the same as a visa; it is merely a prerequisite; you must still apply for a Japan Student Visa from your home country.

The application for a Japanese Certificate of Eligibility takes one to three months.

How to Apply for a Japan Student Visa

Your school must send you the Certificate of Eligibility after you receive it so that you can use it to apply for a Student Visa from a Japanese Consulate or Embassy in your country.

You must do the following:


Please contact a Japanese embassy or consulate in your area.

A list of Japanese Embassies, Consulates, and Permanent Missions can be found here.

Some embassies/consulates do not accept direct visa applications, so you must go through an accredited travel agency or visa application agency.

Gather the necessary documents for a Japan Student Visa.

Apply for a Japan Student Visa directly at the Embassy/Consulate or through a travel agency or visa application agency.

If the Consulate or Embassy deems it necessary, you may be required to return for an interview or to submit additional documentation.

Take the visa.

You must return to receive your passport once your Japan Student Visa application has been processed.

You may enter Japan if your application was approved.

Once you have entered Japan on a student visa,

After entering Japan on a Student Visa, Immigration Officers will issue you a Landing Permission at the port of entry.

A single-entry visa becomes invalid once you obtain the Landing Permit, whereas a multiple-entry visa with a longer validity period remains valid even after you obtain the Landing Permit.

The Landing Permit replaces your visa and allows you to stay in Japan legally.


You must also obtain the following in addition to the Landing Permit:

A Residence Permit

If you enter Japan via Narita, Haneda, Kansai, or Chubu Airports, you will be given a Japanese Residence Card.

If you enter Japan via another port, you can obtain a Residence Card from one of the local municipal offices.

Then, regardless of whether you received the Residence Card upon entry or later, you must report your stay at one of the local municipal offices within 14 days of establishing residence in Japan.

The Residence Card will include your address.


A Permit for Re-Entry

You can apply for a Japan Re-Entry Permit at your local Japanese Immigration Office if you want to be able to leave and re-enter Japan for the duration of your visa.


How Long Does a Japan Student Visa Take to Process?

When applying for a Student Visa, the application process can take 5-10 working days.

The application process for the Certificate of Eligibility, on the other hand, can take up to three months.


How long is the Japan Student Visa valid?

Japan Student Visas are valid for the following periods of time:

a period of six months

One calendar year

three months and one year

a period of two years

two and a half years and three months

The duration of your stay in Japan is stated on both your Landing Permission and your Residence Card.

However, regardless of the length of your issued visa, you may apply for a stay extension before your current visa expires.


Extending a Student Visa in Japan


At the local Immigration Office, you can apply for a Japan Extension of Stay up to 90 days before your visa expires. When applying, you will need the following documents:

Japan Visa Extension Application Form

Passport-size photos that meet the following requirements:

4cm x 3cm in size

Photographed within the last three months

Background is plain and light in color, with no patterns or shadows.

You must begin with a straight face and a neutral expression.

Your entire face must be visible.

The image must be of high quality (focused, clear, and sharp)

A copy of your Registration Certificate issued by your educational institution.

A copy of your educational institution’s Results Certificate

Proof that you can meet the financial requirements for your stay

Visa Extension applications are processed within two weeks to a month.


How Much Does a Japan Student Visa Cost?

The following fees apply to Japan Visas:

3,000 Yen for a single entry visa

Visa for two or more entries: 6,000 Yen

Visa for Transit: 700 Yen

However, you must only pay the visa fee if your application is approved.


Bear in mind:

The visa fee varies depending on the country, the purpose of your visit, and the local currency.


Working in Japan on a Student Visa

A Japanese Student Visa does not grant you the right to work in Japan. To work in Japan, you must obtain a Work Permit from the local Immigration Office.

Furthermore, as a Student Visa holder, you are not permitted to work more than 28 hours per week, and certain occupations are prohibited, such as working in a bar, club, adult stores or hotels, massage parlors, and so on.

Once you graduate, you can apply to change your visa category from student to work in order to work.

However, you must have a work contract to do so.


How Can I Convert My Student Visa to a Work Visa in Japan?

If you are an international student in Japan and find work while on a Student Visa or after graduating, you must apply to change your visa category to a Work Visa.


You and your new employer can apply for a Japan Work Visa at one of Japan’s local Immigration Offices by submitting the following documentation:


Application Form for permission to change the status of residence

Your passport, as well as a copy of it

Your Residence Permit

Your Curriculum Vitae Proof of Graduation (diploma)

Proof of previous academic and/or professional experience

Your institution Transcripts

A copy of the Employment Contract, detailing your employment details

Documents from your employing company, such as:

Registration Forms

Financial statements for the most recent fiscal year


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.