Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, better known as “Wizkid,” is a fast-rising Nigerian music artist. The 26-year-old is well-known for his avant-garde musical styles as well as his awe-inspiring stage presence. However, you may be among those who are unaware of some facts about this fast-rising Nigerian musician.
We’ve compiled a list of ten interesting facts about Wizkid that we believe you should be aware of. Check out the following:
1. Wizkid began singing in local churches when he was 11 years old. He was not only a good singer, but he was also the lead singer.
2. At the age of 15, he was writing songs and receiving advice from Naeto C.
3. Wizkid was a member of the “Glorious Five” praise and worship gospel singing choir. He was previously known as Lil Prinz.
4. Wizkid’s first recordings were made in a Lagos church.
5. Wizkid performed under aliases such as “Glorious Five” and “Lil Prinz.” He was able to record an album with seven songs under the alias Lil Prinz.
6. Wizkid got his big break in the music industry in 2009, when he collaborated with renowned musician M.I.
7. Prior to his rise to fame, Wizkid had the good fortune to work with well-known artists such as 2Face, Idibia, Naeto C, and Sound Sultan.
8. Because of his good music and stage performance, Wizkid has a lot of fans.
9. Wizkid owns a record label called Starboy Records, which is home to a number of artists.
10. Oluwanishola Ogudugu, the musician’s first son, was born in 2010. He was also named one of Nigeria’s wealthiest musicians.
11. He is the youngest African artist to be nominated for a Grammy.
12. Wizkid is the first African pop star to sell out London’s Royal Albert Hall.
13. He is the Nigerian musician with the most award nominations.
14. He is the first African-American to receive seven Billboard nominations.
15. He is the first Nigerian musician to receive three Billboard Music Awards.
16. Wizkid is the first afro-pop artist to have his name inscribed in the Guinness Book of World Records.
17. He is the first Nigerian musician to be honored by the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP).
18. Wizkid is the only Nigerian artiste to hold the number one spot on the iTunes World Chart for more than one week, thanks to his collaboration on “One Dance,” a track on which he was featured by Canadian rapper Drake.
19. Wizkid’s “Come Closer,” on which he collaborated with Drake, reached a million views on YouTube just 24 hours after its release. Wizkid is the first African artist to have a video with a million views within the first 24 hours of its release. With the music video for “Fever,” he broke his own record. Tiwa Savage, a Nigerian superstar, plays his love interest in the video.
20. Mark Brandt Dayton, the governor of Minnesota, honored the singer by naming a day after him in the United States.